Organization: T&L Nursery, Inc
Job Category: Wholesale Nursery
Job Type: Full-Time
Experience Requirement: 5-10 years
Pay range: $30.00 hourly
T&L Nursery, Inc. is located 30 miles east of Seattle, in the Sammamish Valley, between Redmond and Woodinville. For over 30 years we have taken pride in producing the highest quality plant material for Garden Centers and landscapers in the Pacific Northwest. T&L grows approximately 4 million plants per year of over 2500 varieties on our 40-acre property, making us one of the most diverse growers in the region. Despite these successes, we are still a small, privately-owned business with a focus on culture.
At T&L, our Propagation Team oversees the process of all young plant development for the nursery. It’s where a rich tradition of 35+ years of company history intersects with scientific processes and artistic intuition. Our propagation growers support the widest array of crop development in the nursery and work to establish robust plants from all forms including seed, tissue culture, cuttings, liners and other sources. Our propagation team helps develop our techniques and processes that optimize success while also helping us identify technology and equipment that can enhance our plant successes.
The Propagation Manager is a key leader and business driver for the nursery. The Propagation Manager leads a small team and oversees all aspects of young plant production within the assigned Propagation Greenhouses. Our propagation team produces more than 2,000,000 young plants per year while also managing our stock plant and trial programs. In this role you work to achieve high rates of success with continual improvements in efficiency while overseeing production schedules, department facility needs, space planning, plant success rates and growth timing. This role also helps support the nursery’s long-term planning.
Work with the Production Manager to accomplish the following:
• Oversee all facets of young plant production and young plant development.
• Manage the functionality of the propagation green houses and propagation facilities
• Oversee and schedule weekly task lists – plantings, moving, cuttings, sprayings, cleanings, etc.
• Track young plant inventory, record losses and waste and maintain accurate quantities.
• Review young plant quality and quantities for transplant and prepare the weekly transplanting list.
• Track, monitor and update losses and planting discrepancies for all pre-production batches.
• Maintain E-Grow Library Data
• Support forecasting and space planning activities.
• Manage stock plants, including review of all upcoming stock needs, updating of stock supply and removal of old stock supply.
• Support the ongoing needs of the Production Team and T&L Nursery as otherwise may be required.
• Act as a secondary support to Propagation Growers, the Production Team, and the Management Team at large.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Horticulture educational certification preferred (Associate Degree or Higher)
• Horticulture experience required (5+ years)
• Experience managing teams of people (2+ years)
• Young plant experience required (3+ years)
• Herbaceous ornamental and/or perennial experience preferred (2+ years)
• Excellent communication
• Strong attention to detail with proficiency in Mathematics.
• Organized, with ability to prioritize and track multiple projects
• Strong data analysis and critical thinking skills
• Computer skills necessary in MS Office with a willingness to implement new technologies over time.
• Self-motivated individual who works well both independently and as a part of a team
• Preferences will be given to candidates with the following skills and abilities: Bilingual in English and Spanish, PGR Experience, Active Pesticide Applicator’s License, IPM Experience.
• Paid Holidays
• Sick leave and paid time off
• Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance
• 401k • Product Discounts
• Ongoing opportunities for growth and development
REPORTS TO: Production Manager
TYPICAL HOURS: Monday-Friday 7:00-3:30. Occasional Weekends may be required.
How to Apply
Send Resumes to:
Elizabeth Jimenez – Human Resource at email@example.com
Alison Burton – Production Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org