Organization: City of Kenmore
Job Category: Landscape Maintenance
Job Type: Full-Time
Education Requirement: High School / GED
Experience Requirement: 1-2 years
Performs a variety of unskilled, semi-skilled and skilled maintenance
and repair tasks within a specific area of the Public Works Department,
including park, street, surface water, and landscape maintenance and
operations. Because of the small number of City employees, each staff
member is expected to perform a wide range of office and field duties as
may be required from time to time.
The City has a team approach to its maintenance activities. While
this position is primarily active in Public Works maintenance the
overall maintenance, priorities will provide the opportunity to
participate in Parks, Street, Surface Water and Facilities Maintenance
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform a variety of unskilled, semi-skilled and skilled tasks in the area of assignment
- Perform all types of landscape maintenance within City parks,
facilities and streetscapes. May include applying pesticides,
fertilizers and other chemicals according to applicable guidelines.
Clean and maintain park restrooms and other park facilities. Manage
irrigation systems including programing, startup, winterizing,
maintenance and repair
- Maintain, repair and install street signs, shoulders, sidewalks, streets and drainage systems
- Treat ice and snow on sidewalks and walkways
- Operate and maintain a variety of vehicles, equipment, hand and power tools
- Utilize proper safety precautions in all work performed;
recognize and report safety hazards, traffic problems, equipment
problems and emergency situations
- Respond to emergencies as directed
- Perform semi-skilled and general labor in plumbing, electrical, mechanical, carpentry, painting and concrete work
- Pick up and deliver equipment, materials, parts and supplies as required.
- Ensure regular, predictable and reliable attendance
- Courteously respond to complaints and inquiries, and provide a high level of customer service
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- General principals of maintenance activities performed in parks, street, rights-of-way, and storm water facilities
- Applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations. Work hazards, safety procedures, and OSHA and WISHA regulations
Ability to perform all of the responsibilities of the position to include, but not limited to:
- Performing work using safe working methods and procedures
including safe and efficient operation and maintenance of vehicles and
equipment according to standard operation and safety procedures
- Identifying maintenance needs and mechanical problems and taking corrective action
- Serving in the on-call rotation and respond to emergencies on a 24-hour basis.
- Working independently and using initiative within established procedural guidelines
- Interpreting technical manuals, instructions, blueprints, sketches, plans and diagrams, and analyzing complex variables
- Assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands. To understand verbal and oral instructions
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers and the public
- Operating a personal computer for word processing and email, specifically Microsoft Office software
- Communicating through relaying and receiving information via
verbal/written/telephonic/radio and other means or methods of
communication and must be able to clearly understand direction and
- Occasionally performing the required ability to calculate mathematical problems
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing
- Working as contributing member of a team, working productively
and cooperatively with other teams and external customers, with the
ability to convey a positive image of the City and its services
Education and Experience:
This position typically requires a High school diploma or GED. Must
have at least two (2) years of experience as a Public Works maintenance
worker, or general landscape or construction experience, or closely
related maintenance experience. Any equivalent combination of education,
experience and training that provides the knowledge, skills and
abilities may be considered.
Preferred: A certificate or associates degree in Horticulture or a similar program.
Licenses and Certificates
- A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) CLASS B . is required, or must be obtained within the first six (6) months of employment.
- Must possess a Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA)
pesticide applicator license or the ability to obtain within twelve
(12) months of employment.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Washington state flagging card within six (6) months of employment is required.
- Must possess a valid Washington State Driver’s license by date
of hire and must have and maintain a good driving record by city
- Ability to obtain and maintain a current First Aid/CPR certification within twelve (12) months.
- SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS for CDL holders only – Applicants will be
subject to pre-employment as well as ongoing (during employment) drug
and alcohol tests and physical examinations. Applicants and employees
will be required to comply with State and Federal Drug & Alcohol
requirements for CDLs.
- Work Environment – Work is performed in both
indoor and outdoor work environments, at construction sites, facilities,
right of ways, streets and parks. There will be exposure to varying
weather and terrain conditions, noise, dust, vegetation, pollen, mud,
moving vehicles or machines, chemical cleaning agents and toxic odors.
Must be able to climb ladders and work from heights. Must be able to
bend at the waist, kneel and crouch. Must have the physical ability to
lift a minimum of 50 lbs. and carry objects with both hands and arms.
Must be able to perform moderately medium to heavy manual activities.
- Hours of Work – 7:00am -3:30pm (40 hours a week). The position requires reporting to the Public Works Office.
- Safety Requirements –Required to comply with all work rules, safety, and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements
- This position is eligible for healthcare benefits, retirement plans, paid holidays, vacation, sick leave and more!
- This position is non-exempt and eligible for overtime pay.
- The City does not participate in Social Security and participates in a 401(a) retirement plan in lieu of Social Security.
- Kenmore is on the Northshore of Lake Washington and has over seven miles of waterfront along the Lake and the Sammamish River.
- Kenmore is a first-ring suburb of Seattle and is equi-distant to
downtown Seattle, downtown Bellevue, Microsoft headquarters in Redmond,
and Boeing and Paine Field in Everett.
- City Hall is in the heart of Kenmore’s downtown and is within walking distance to many local businesses, restaurants and parks!
How to Apply