Organization: T&L Nursery, Inc
Job Category: Grower
Job Type: Full-Time
Education Requirement: High School / GED
Experience Requirement: 5-10 years
Pay range: $25.00 hourly
Senior Grower – Propagation (Young Plant Specialist)
T&L Nursery, Inc. is located 30 miles east of Seattle, in the Sammamish Valley, between Redmond and Woodinville. For over 30 years we have taken pride in producing the highest quality plant material for Garden Centers and Landscapers in the Pacific Northwest. T&L grows approximately 5 million plants of over 3000 varieties per year making us one of the largest and most diverse growers in the region. Even with our success, we are still a small, privately-owned business with a focus on culture.
At T&L, our Grower Team is the center of plant growing success and is the heart of what we do as a company. Our growers are involved in all aspects of plant growing from Propagation to Finish. Collectively our Grow Team manages a diverse crop portfolio covering more than 1,000,000 square feet across multiple unique environmental zones. We use technology to support our environmental controls as much as possible and we utilize an extensive biological control program as the foundation of our IPM system. The Grower Team works as a close-knit unit, supporting each other with broad and varied areas of expertise. Each of our growers is responsible for key crops as well as contributing to other nursery-wide activities. T&L provides the opportunity to gain experience across a huge variety of plant species that few other nurseries our size can offer.
Our Propagation Growing Team oversees the process of all young plant development for the nursery. Our propagation growers support the widest array of crop development on the team and work to establish robust plants from all forms including seed, tissue culture, cuttings, liners and other sources. Our propagation growers help develop our techniques and processes that optimize success while also helping us identify technology and equipment that can enhance our plant successes. This role requires a strong grasp of perennial and annual growing experience as well as prior propagation and young plant expertise.
• Work Closely with Head Grower and Production Manager to successfully maintain ownership of a diverse young crop profile with a variety of water, nutrient, and other propagative needs.
• Actively participate in the continual improvement process of enhancing crop recipes to yield improve quality, reduced losses and achieve optimal growth timing.
• Manage greenhouse climate control (Argus) and irrigation systems (boom, sprinkler, drip, echo)
• Participate in regular propagation crop walks with Production and Growing teams to review performance of plants under your care.
• Scout for pests and diseases and participate in our Integrated Pest Management program
• Identify and perform needed plant maintenance tasks with a focus on quality and efficiency
• Apply sprays as may be necessary.
• Proper maintenance and basic troubleshooting of irrigation systems (boom, sprinkler, drip)
• Support plant trial programs; keep and provide recommendations for future improvements.
• Support the growing team with a wide array of group tasks including scouting, seasonal preparations, etc.
• 4+ years horticultural knowledge and 2+ years’ minimum propagation experience in a production setting. Candidates without relevant experience will not be considered.
• IPM experience and Private Pesticide Applicator’s license within 3 months of hire
• Strong preference given to applicants with experience of Plant Growth Regulators
• Knowledge of biological control methods and other sustainable practices
• Broad comprehension of fertility management of perennial and annual crops
• Experience with Argus preferred.
• Experience with Horticulture ERP preferred (We use Starcom).
• Proficient in mathematics, especially volume conversions and ratios.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Strong passion for learning about and growing plants • Able to manage multiple, diverse crops at the same time
• Organized, self-motivated, team player who can work well independently and as part of a team
• Unafraid to speak up, ask hard questions and offer new ideas
• Able to work outdoors during all seasons, including doing physical tasks that require bending, lifting, standing for long periods of time, climbing, etc.
• Strong communication skills, bilingual a plus (English/Spanish).
• Paid Holidays, Sick leave and PTO
• Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance
• 401k with generous match
• Product Discounts
• Opportunity for growth
• Relocation assistance available
REPORTS TO: Propagation Manager
TYPICAL HOURS: Monday-Friday 7:00-3:30. Schedule may vary seasonally based on weather and nursery needs. This role participates in weekend and holiday rotations.
How to Apply
Send Resumes to:
Elizabeth Jimenez – Human Resources: email@example.com
Adam Attaway – Head Grower: firstname.lastname@example.org