Organization: Fourth Corner Nurseries
Job Category: Grower
Job Type: Full-Time
Experience Requirement: 1-2 years
Position Title: Greenhouse Grower
Employer: Fourth Corner Nurseries
In operation for 38 years, Fourth Corner Nurseries is a renowned producer of native plants for the ecological restoration and container nursery markets for the Pacific Northwest and beyond. We specialize in source-identified, seed-propagated, bare root native plants including trees and shrubs, perennials, bulbs, graminoids, and aquatics. We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced grower to strengthen our expanding greenhouse program.
Job Description & Duties:
Under the direction of the Greenhouse Manager, the Greenhouse Grower is responsible for overseeing the daily needs of two greenhouses and adjacent outdoor growing spaces. Daily tasks include assessing crops to determine irrigation needs, watering and fertilizing by programming or manually running overhead irrigation, hand watering, and/or using a fertilizer injector. You will coordinate with and divide the (seven day a week) task of watering with the Production Assistant, who will water most weekends (May to October) and some weekdays. Occasional weekend watering may be required.
The Greenhouse Grower will also be the primary point person for the greenhouse integrated pest management (IPM) program. The IPM program will be an early research and development opportunity for this position. In addition to program development and routine crop monitoring, preventative and curative pesticide applications will be the responsibility of this position.
Beyond daily tasks, plant propagation and production tasks are also a responsibility of this position. Under the direction of the Greenhouse Manager, spring work includes sowing, thinning, and transplanting, and summer and fall work includes crop monitoring, grading, and preparing orders. This is a physical position, requiring extended periods of standing, walking, bending, and at times repeated lifting and carrying of up to 50 pounds in a wide range of temperatures and humidity. This is also a mentally challenging position, requiring frequent decision making, thinking on your feet, juggling competing priorities, strong attention to detail, and accurate record keeping.
The greenhouse program is a new and expanding part of the business. Protocols are still being developed and refined, and trials are being conducted alongside production crops. There will be opportunities for a successful candidate to develop or grow into roles that are yet to be defined. There will also be times when your help will be needed on various tasks around the nursery (e.g. order fulfilment, seed collecting, inventory).
The ideal candidate will have horticultural experience, interest in native plants, be motivated, energetic, ready to take on responsibility and be a part of our team. Someone who is adaptable, industrious and interested in growth will be happy here. Folks who desire a highly structured workplace will be disappointed.
- At least one year of experience growing in a production scale greenhouse, including irrigation responsibilities
- Working knowledge of greenhouse systems and able to adjust settings and troubleshoot issues to optimize for plant health
- Valid WA state pesticide applicator’s license, or ability and willingness to get a license
- Interest in developing an IPM program and willingness to become the primary pesticide applicator for greenhouse crops (both preventative and curative)
- Able to safely perform the physical aspects of the position
- Interest in a long-term position at our nursery
- Reliable, efficient, and attentive to detail
- Able to assess competing priorities, make decisions independently, solve problems, and know when to ask for help
- Possesses strong communication skills, both written and verbal; able to accept constructive feedback
- Demonstrated experience working well independently and with a team
- Comfortable using a tablet or smartphone and able to record data accurately both on paper and a computer
- Familiar with native plant species and botanical nomenclature, or willingness to learn
Demonstrated experience designing or implementing an integrated pest management program
Training or experience in plant pathology, disease management, crop science, nutrition, plant physiology, or propagation
Terms of Employment: This is a termed full-time (40 hours per week) position with an opportunity to become full-time permanent. April 15th – October 31st, 2021 will serve as the duration of the position (start date is somewhat flexible). A performance evaluation will occur in September and if the position is a good fit, it will be extended to a full-time permanent position.
How to Apply
Please send a resume with references and a statement about your interest in the position (350 words or less) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!
Closing Date: We will begin reviewing applications on Wednesday, March 31st and will continue accepting applications until the position is filled.
Contact: Kelly Broadlick (Greenhouse Manager)
Address: 5652 Sand Rd., Bellingham, WA 98226