Organization: Flower World, Inc.
Job Category: Grower
Job Type: Full-Time
Education Requirement: Associate's
Experience Requirement: 3-5 years
The ideal candidate will work with the growing, care and maintenance of the company’s horticultural products that are produced for retail sales.Applies technical procedures, timing and metering devices that control frequency, amount, and type of nutrient applications; regulate humidity, ventilation, temperature, and light. Monitors crop development and the removal of substandard plants to maintain quality standards.
- Discussions with the Production Manager for growing activities that are consistent with planned production schedules.
- Prepares space required for planned production.
- Monitors growing conditions, changes in humidity, moisture, temperature, and cultivation procedures with head growers to ensure conformance with quality control standards.
- Regularly inspects crop to ascertain conditions such as leaf texture, bloom size and the existence of pests or disease; removing substandard or diseased plants to maintain quality standards.
- Assists in the development of growing procedures for new species in product line and new cultivation techniques.
- Maintains records of growing techniques and production to be used for review to identify trends and to forecast future needs.
- May assist in training new employees in growing techniques and other activities.
- Maintains a knowledge of current growing techniques and technologies.
- Assists the Production Manager and performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to calculate figures amounts, proportions, percentages and volume in relation to the application of fertilizers and water. Apply the principles of algebra and geometry for applications of such procedures.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills to interact with team members, senior support personnel, high level personnel and customers.
- Ability to define and solve problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions necessary to identify a wide variety of conditions such as plant diseases, existence of insects, etc.
- Have the knowledge and ability to identify major plant groups and be aware of their culture and growth traits.
- Work independently and as part of a team.
- Planning, organizing and attention to detail.
- Adaptability and multi‐tasking; experience working in a fast paced environment.
- Fosters positive working relationships.
- 2 ‐ 4 year degree in Horticulture or related field and 3‐5 years of related work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Must understand the use of injectors, electrical conductivity, pH meter, boom and irrigations systems.
- Thorough knowledge of water lines and be aware of and monitor conditions such as ventilation, light conditions, temperature, and humidity.
Required work schedule
- This position requires a 40‐hour minimum work week.
- Must be able to work inside and outside 12 months out of the year.
- Willingness to work weekends.