Organization: Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Job Category: Wholesale Nursery
Job Type: Seasonal
Oxbow’s Native Plant Nursery works to support conservation and restoration of our region’s native flora. To this end, we produce about 75,000 high quality, locally adapted and genetically diverse plants each season for use in restoration, landscaping
and retail nursery sales.
The seasonal production assistant will work with the year-round nursery staff in all aspects of plant production during the 2021 growing season. The position requires someone able to take on responsibility, work efficiently with attention to detail. Additionally,
we are looking for individuals with a background and interest in botany, horticulture, nursery science and/or environmental stewardship, and an enthusiasm for native plants and their production.
Seasonal production assistant’s schedule is primarily M-F, 8:00-4:00, with occasional weekend work required.
- Perform duties around crop production, including: sowing, thinning, transplanting, pruning, re-organizing nursery stock, weeding, irrigation, and inventory monitoring.
- Assist in putting together plant orders, loading delivery vehicles
- Maintaining organization and cleanliness of the nursery and equipment
- Participate in site preparation, maintenance and native planting activities on site
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for native plants of the Pacific Northwest region and their associated habitats
- Work experience/background in botany, environmental science, horticulture, or related field
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment related to nursery production, landscaping, or restoration activities, and a strong desire to learn more
- Consistent attention to detail
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity when necessary, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Ability to work: standing, sitting, bending over or kneeling; to lift heavy & awkward objects, up to 50 lbs.; perform physical work such as digging or planting; and in inclement weather
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Positive leadership skills
- Flexible, creative, and able to perform well in diverse conditions and under pressure
Additional desired qualities include: environmentally conscious, detail oriented, self-motivated, energetic, and professional.
The Oxbow Native Plant Nursery is part of a larger non-profit organization. A commitment to Oxbow’s overall mission and working as part of a team is critical.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY COMMITMENT
Oxbow is committed to cultivating a culture of diversity and inclusion. We value the individual differences, life experiences, and knowledge that our staff members bring to their work and their communities. Valuing diversity is a significant part of our
culture, our values, and the success of Oxbow’s mission.
Oxbow provides equal employment opportunities to all staff members and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran
status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Oxbow is committed to fostering a racially diverse team. People of color are encouraged to apply.
This is a seasonal, full-time position, paying $16-$17 per hour DOE.
Native Plant Manager
Please email a resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Please write Nursery Production Assistant in the email subject line and include where you found this position in the message body.
For first consideration, applications are due by Sunday, January 31st 2021. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis after January 31st until position is filled.