Organization: Watson's Greenhouse & Nursery
Job Category: Retail Nursery
Job Type: Full-Time
Education Requirement: High School / GED
Experience Requirement: 3-5 years
Watson’s Greenhouse & Nursery
Puyallup, WA | Full-time
High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Buying: 3 years (Preferred)
Watson’s is a destination that fuels a passion for living by providing products that enhance your home, garden, and life. Our core values of Family, Passion, and Quality help us accomplish our mission of building loyal, lasting relationships by serving with passion and expertise.
The Trees & Shrubs Buyer plans, directs, coordinates and negotiates the procurement of plant goods, with the optimal combination of price, quality and delivery.
This full-time position reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Providing customers in our Puyallup and Federal Way location with high quality plant material by incorporating customer feedback, scientific data, market trends, and historic analysis.
- Developing the yearly plant purchasing plan for the upcoming season and partnering with the management team to establish pricing.
- Continually developing, maintaining relationships with and setting expectations for a network of potential vendors and suppliers. Some over-night travel is required.
- Work with the Landscape Designer to procure plants, suggest replacements, and fulfill orders.
- Responsible to the CFO to adhere to the budget, including utilizing the open-to-buy.
- Partner with Department Leads to provide an excellent customer experience based on sales data, seasons and inventory.
- Ensure accurate paperwork and recordkeeping, including owning the customer request process.
- Customer service, handling returns, complaints, transfers.
- Provides input on displays to showcase the product in the best possible manner.
- This position is based in Puyallup, with weekly trips to our Federal Way location.
- 3 to 5 years of experience as nursery buyer.
- Strong horticultural knowledge from either a degree in horticulture or industry certification and/or hands-on-experience.
- Demonstrated abilities using technology-inventory management system and Microsoft Office.
- Required to learn our POS system for purchase orders, completing sales, troubleshooting.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- This position doesn’t currently have direct-reports, but managerial skills are required to direct displays and plant care, etc.
- Must be able to lift or move up to 50lbs, and push/pull racks on wheels of 100lbs with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to stand, climb, squat, bend, twist, and stand for extended periods of time.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
- Bonus pay
- If you didn’t include a cover letter, why are you interested in this position at Watson’s?
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Buying: 3 years (Preferred)
- Multiple locations
How to Apply
To apply visit our Indeed Career Post Listing: https://www.indeed.com/job/trees-shrubs-buyer-533739646d441d7d
If you didn’t include a cover letter, please share why are you interested in this position at Watson’s.